Tuesday, October 20, 2015

History repeats itself: Water on Mars...again?

Not to be a downer but my reaction to the recent Nasa announcement about liquid water on Mars was a bit different (although to be clear, it is an exciting discovery). A more suspicious individual might wonder about funding pressure and the timing of this announcement with the theatrical release of a spectacular movie, the Martian, but we won't go there.

I remember a lecture from a University of Michigan professor I attended 5 years ago about how one of the rover pictures almost certainly captured a briny flow on the surface of Mars. I also remember all kinds of announcements about water on Mars growing up. So, I turned to Wikipedia and was not disappointed:

Chronology of discoveries of water on Mars

Turns out someone has actually cataloged this! It is an interesting read for all of you space nerds out there.

Clear skies!

No comments:

Post a Comment